Sunday, December 6, 2009

Mystery Diagnosis

Has anyone seen the show Mystery Diagnosis on TLC?
It tells the stories of people who have strange symptoms that take forever to be diagnosed by doctors. This week we feel like we lived through an episode of this show.
Let me explain...


Tuesday morning I wake Abby up for school. She cries and says she didn't get ANY sleep and that her TUMMY hurt all night. I think, great the stomach flu!

Abby stays home from school Tuesday and complains all day about her stomach. She has NO other symptoms of the stomach flu. No vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite. Her stomach just hurts.

Tuesday night Abby is awake ALL night tossing, turning, and crying. We all get about a total of 2 hours sleep.


Wednesday morning we head to the clinic. All the doctors are gone so we see the P.A. They do a urine test. Nothing shows up. He thinks it is Acid. We go to pharmacy and fill expensive meds. Give them to her right away. Hours later.....NOTHING! Still hurts!

Wednesday night. Another sleepless night. Tylenol helps, but as soon as it wears off. Crying begins.


Thursday. We give her Tylenol every 4 hours. Pain seems to be getting worse. Take her to the clinic again. Guess what...doctors have the day off!! See P.A. again. He decides to do blood work. Poor little Abby is SO brave. Doesn't even flinch for the needle. P.A. Calls me later that day to say everything looks normal. Says to keep an eye on her. If she gets a fever, bring her in right away. GREAT!

Another Sleepless night!

Friday morning about 4 a.m. Abby is up and screaming in pain. It is worse than it's ever been and we are all SICK of it! We decide to take her to the E.R.
Arrive at E.R. about 6:30. More urine tests, blood work and finally we get to see a DOCTOR! He orders an x-ray of her Abdomen and guess what...are you ready for this???...

Her large intestine was about 2 inches wide in one spot with BLOCKAGE, aka...POOP!
They gave her a magic potion and about 6 trips to the bathroom later she was feeling FINE!

She had had regular BM's every day that week so that was the furthest thing from my mind!
I told Kevin that was the most expensive piece of SH*T EVER!!

The Joys of motherhood!!!

5 comments:

Anna said...

Oh my gosh, that was fun to read your blog...Jon and I laughed and enjoyed every minute. Thanks for doing such an incredible job on this blogging. I loved it so much. I can't believe I have not had a minute to read them since Annie's Birthday party...but you got me all caught up. Yep...we have good times together. I am so happy to have been a mother to all these great kids. Oh, ouch for Abbie. I am shocked that you never called me...sounds like a week from hell. I would have just asked you about if she had BMs and then appendisitis would have been my next concern. How bazarre! Glad she survived. All I can say is "An Apple a Day keeps the doctor away!" Love you so much.

Mandy said...

Lol you crack me up! Poor little girl.....and Stupid doctors! Sorry, thankful for SOME of them, but come on!!! Glad it wasn't something serious!!

Melis said...

So glad you got it figured out! It's so scary when you know something is wrong and don't know what, then great to find out it's really NOT as big a deal as it could have been. I'm so glad she's doing better and hope you are getting some sleep!

Rach said...

Shit can get expensive! Haha. you are hillarious!! So I thought you were going to say kidney stone or something... Blockage!!! that is so sad!! I am glad she is feeling better. P.s. her testimony was sweet on sunday!! I think she is a doll!!!

Angie said...

Oh, Nicki. I am so so sorry. That was a funny story though. Probably not fun this close to finals to not have sleep for a week though! Hang in there girlfriend. Glad Abby is feeling fine now. Poor little thing.